Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Two Rabbis and Understanding Evil

I left this comment at Daniel Gordis' blog post responding to the criticism he received following his criticism of the pastoral letter of Rabbi Sharon Brous:

For a column on the need to love Jews more, I see no real need for this phrasing: "To say 'We are deeply entrenched in our narratives of good and evil, victim and perpetrator' is a sentiment I might understand regarding the West Bank or a host of other issues."

While I know that Daniel assigns no 'evil' to the residency of Jews in Judea and Samaria (why use a term - the West Bank - which was a geopolitical invention of a King who illegally occupied territory which didn't belong to him in 1950?), as I am not sure if Rabbi Brous does, why give her a pass on that by suggesting it could be "understood"?

In doing so, it's another form of the ostjuden phenomenon.

^

No comments: